People are so fickle. I love trying to figure ‘em out every hour of every day, just hoping that I’ll see the glimmer of intellect or cleverness to prove that we as a species deserve the planet we now rule. Those of you that really know me know that I do not believe in God. Pray for me (or feel sad for me if you must), but I’m of the opinion that if you’re happy when you wake up then you’re on the right belief track. The only downside my lack of faith leaves me with is a lingering need to believe that we are living up to our evolution.
Since there’s no God in my scenario of life, there’s also no “intelligent design” inherent in the system. We’re just a really, really random shot of molecules that haven’t fucked it up for ourselves yet. But, like Isaac Asimov and Kurt Vonnegut Jr. before me, I am intrinsically a humanist. I believe in smiles and laughter and treating people justly simply because we’re all stuck on this planet together, and if the assholes prevail it’ll be a pretty shitty experience for all parties involved. So that morsel of hope in the human race keeps me on a constant search for those of us that are trying to earn it.
Saturday night I put my DJ shoes back on, and threw a little party…and by little I mean 1500 people going crazy and drinking to the point of cirrhosis. Somewhere between the musical genius (sigh) of Lady GaGa and Flo Rida (I really wonder where he’s from), I dropped 2 minutes of Chris Brown’s last hit “Forever.” I grabbed the mic and said “Doesn’t this sound like a Rihanna beat?” and giggled to myself because, well, that joke was for me. As I transitioned into Flo Rida’s “Right Round,” I found myself being poked incessantly in the back by a sharp fingernail. I turned around already annoyed and was greeted by a little brown-haired troll with her best fart face on.
“Was that last song by Chris Brown?” she asked.
“Why yes it was…” I responded, already sensing where this was going.
“Why IN. THE. FUCK! Would you play his fucking music??!” she accused.
(Giving my best Cheshire Cat grin) “Look honey, if I quit playing songs made by criminals I’d have no dance songs to play.” And away she stomped, presumably to go complain to her fellow trolls over a bucket of ranch dressing and Bacardi/diets.
I’ll stand by my point that while I’ll pick and choose which artists I want to financially support, when it comes to the party all politics are off if they can shake some asses. I fought a ban from Republican bosses of Kanye West’s music over the Katrina comments, I’ll play T.I. on the day he goes to jail for felony weapons possession, and to tell the truth I’d still drop a single by OJ Simpson if it made the ladies dance on the dancefloor. Hopefully it’s called “Take A Stab At Rappin’ (Yeah, I Did It).”
What’s sad is that I really wanted to ask her if she’d read the economic stimulus package. I wanted to see if she could possibly channel any of the anger she holds for clubs that play music from a guy who beat up his girlfriend to something that ACTUALLY matters in her life. I’m sorry if you had abuse in your life because Uncle Diddles had you on his lap too much and you weren’t pretty enough to be a stripper. I’m sorry if you got knocked around by someone, but #1) I know how it feels to get wailed on and 2.) The other 1499 people grinding and shaking don’t seem to mind, and I’ll take that ratio any day.
But back to my point, do you vote? Do you pay attention to the decisions around you that will affect your life and the lives of your kids? Or is your only idea of economics bitching that season 3 of Grey’s Anatomy is still $34.99 and not understanding why anybody would by expensive wine when Trader Joe’s Pinot Grigio is “just as good.” I’m not advocating everyone has to read all 1100 pages (especially since no one in Congress did) of the stimulus proposal, but if people spent half (HALF) the time they spent G-chatting at work, or reading the (not funny) musings of Perez Hilton or Gofugyourself.com, or twittering/facebooking/myspacing and actually read some news we could maybe start getting on the right track as a people.
$787,000,000,000 is 1/11 of our national debt, and is about to be spent on, um, can you tell me? Anyone out there? Yes, it will create jobs. Yes, it will help put cash back into the economy. But at what cost? The interest on that loan alone could bankrupt us as a country. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti-Obama, I’m just uncomfortable with the speed and recklessness this got pushed through. We are intelligent beings with the free will and ability to control our destiny, and yet as a people we keep fostering a culture that values the emptiness of fame and rewards mediocrity. We put celebrities on a pedestal and wait with bated breath for their opinion while recycling the papers written by experts in the field without reading them. Where’s the logic in that?? I can tell you 20 people who know who LC from “The Hills” voted for, but couldn’t find 20 people who know who William F. Buckley or George Will or Molly Ivins are.
There’s an ad campaign for parents to get more involved with their kids’ school activities that says “Your child’s homeroom teacher knows who your child sits with at lunch. Do you?” I love this ad ecause the same logic applies to us in this world: “You know how much every item in your groceries costs at Costco/Cub Foods/Pick-n-Save, but can you name your state congressman or state senator or 5 things (specifically) that the Stimulus Package is going to do?”
Barack Obama’s campaign was based on change and hope, two things I think our country desperately needs. But were I a bit smarter, a bit more motivated, and had a few less strikes against me I’d run for office under the slogan “Let’s Earn This.” Whether it’s proving we deserve this to each other, or proving it to a God who created this for us, either way we’re adults acting like petulant children who have every opportunity to be great and are sadly content just whining and pissing it away.
So earn this. Read a paper. Read the news online.
And keep reading my blogs…*wink*
No comments:
Post a Comment