Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Update Q-Point-Oh!

First of all, let me get this off my chest. I think the vocals on David Archuletta's song "Crush" are sublime. That song makes me wish I was back in high school, making up reasons to call Her. Chris Brown's "Forever" has the same effect on me, but Archuletta's vocals sound more…honest? Is that possible for a kid who's a product of the PR Juggernaut that is Americal Idol? That show makes stars out of nobodies better than the Hiltons, the Lohans, and the Hills put together. Listen to "Crush" and smile about someone from back in the days when we could pass notes and extra credit could fix everything. 

Second, let me update you on why I've been so absent. I love writing as most of you know, but I'd love it even more if I could get paid for it. So I've finally sacked up and started putting together things that could really sell. My first project starts filming a week from tomorrow, and your homework sometime in the next month will be to watch the video. I'm going Funnyordie.comyoutube.com, and break.com. It's prime BQ offensiveness, but more than anything I've ever done, I'm really proud of this baby. It feels good to be doing something that I think has a chance…unfortunately it doesn't leave me a lot of time to blog. I'll try and be better.

Quietdrive's CD release party was last Thursday night, and words don't begin to describe how proud I am of them and their new album. Everyone should buy it and then buy a copy of it for everyone they know for Xmas…CDs make great stocking-stuffers!! Also, buy Kings Of Leon's new CD. It's delicious. 

It was pointed out to me last week by Jeremy Hoyle how odd it is that I've been so quiet about the election. Here is why:

In the year 2000 I was a junior at St. John's University, and a major in Political Science. There was not a minute leading up to the election that I wasn't running my mouth about how there was "nofuckingway the American people are stupid enough to elect George Bush. " 

And they were.

Then, in 2004, I did the same thing. I made an election night CD, we hosted a party at the Lodge, I volunteered to work a call center leading up to it, and again, I ran my mouth all autumn about how "there was absofuckinglutely nofuckingway that the American people are stupid enough to reelect George Bush."

And they were.

So this year, they can't reelect him. Yay. I really like Barack Obama (but I am slightly apprehensive) and I don't hate John McCain. But just when I was thinking, "Wow, we actually have two candidates that I don't despise," the Republican Party pulled a Bush on me and picked Sarah Palin. Sarah Palin does for intelligent women what gangstas on the corner of 7th and Hennepin do for my black friends, and the worst part is that she uses the eame excuse gangbangers use to the cops. If they arrest a gangbanger, they all shout racism. When she gets exposed for her stupidity she cries sexism. Her masking of incompetence with folksy remarks appealing to idiots makes me want to throw up. And unfortunately, it's also brilliant. I'll explain…

Fiscal conservatism appeals to the independent and capitalist ideals that America was founded on and has thrived because of. Social liberalism appeals to the society-minded intellectuals that believe that our world cannot move forward without all of us moving forward; including the poor, the sick, and those in need of help. They both are good, and can coexist forming a centrist policy that can appease both. The problem is that social liberalism got linked with lobbyists and greedy politicians that see pocket lining in every government policy they fund, and fiscal conservatism got a mix of stupid and god. 

What no politician will admit is that Americans are fucking stupid. You think this financial meltdown came out of nowhere? Ask anyone, ANYONE, who knows about real estate for their thoughts on subprime morgages. We let this happen. You thought we'd really be in and out of Iraq, waving our flag to Lee Greenwood, when they haven't had lasting peace there in 4,000 years? We as a nation are unfit to govern ourselves, which is why we must pick people to do it for us. The problem is most people in America don't want to learn, don't want to read, and don't want to NEED to pay attention.

Propaganda chiefs throughout history have recognized that the key to victory lies in the sheep. Whether they're running a church or a mosque, a kingdom or a nation, the idiots are the key to power. The true intellectuals will split generally down the middle because they recognize that you need a little of both conservative AND liberal to really make it work. But the greed that festers on both sides want us to polarize, thereby creating sides. What Sarah Palin does (and why this may be a brilliant move for Republicans) is pit the masses against the intellectuals. By patching together religious fervor with "Aw shucks, I ain't one of those smart fellas in Washington" with a pinch of animosity for the rest of the world, it's like blood in the water for the Stupidshark. 

I was on the BBC website yesterday, and they were playing a clip of people shouting "TERRORIST" and worse at every drop of Obama's name thanks to Ms. Palin. The rest of the world is watching, waiting, and saying "They reelected that idiot twice, but there's absitively posilutely fuckingnofuckingway they're going to put this 'tard in office…will they?"

So I guess this election, my superstitions are getting the best of me and I figured if I only speak about it to those that ask and keep it out of my blogs, maybe I'll get lucky and for once America will stand up and recognise that stupidity is NOT a virtue, and keep folksy for your friends and family.

But I should admit also stealing time from me in the blogoshpere is my new job. I took a managerial position with Premiere Restaurants, and am currently working at turning The Ugly Mug and Dive Bar downtown into a force to be reckoned with. I'm also still booking bands for  the Milwaukee Bootleggers, and traveling there once a month to make sure they keep crushing like they are. 

It's been a really great experience working with people that care about success and about the people that bring that success. I was driving with Em the other day and I realized that I've never worked harder but also never been happier at work than I am right now. 

Lest that lesson be lost on me, a certain company decided to remind me how childish people can be. Apparently, someone in the company reads my blogs and reports back if I say anything mean. So, when I was in Milwaukee last and wanted to go see my friends play some music, I was greeted with a phone call to meet their DJ at another bar down the street. He informed me that the regional manager had told the GM to tell him to tell me (did ya follow that??!) that I've been banned for life from all of their establishments. For how much I've drank in the last decade, I've never even been asked to leave a bar for the night…but because I referred to a guy as a coward on my personal myspace page last April, he had a guy tell a guy to tell a guy to tell me that I'm banned for life.

As if it wasn't pathetic enough, I was then treated to a string of text messages involving such classy statements as, "Maybe you should've kept your mouth shut…you made your bed now lie in it" and "I can't wait to come to Minneapolis and kick your ass."

Sigh.

To whom it may concern:
As my good friend John Kill pointed out, starting a fight because of something on myspace.com is like being in the Special Olympics; you might win, but you're still fucking retarded. 

With Love,
BQ

No comments: